Thank you for your interest in Columbia College Chicago’s Alumni Association & Network (CAAN). When you serve on the CAAN National Board as a regional representative or member-at-large, you are making a commitment to:
- Help build meaningful alumni relationships, programs, and communications
- Encourage lifelong relationships among alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff and the college
- Create awareness of, and engagement with, the college and its highest priorities
- Foster a culture of philanthropy
Being a board member can certainly be fun, but it also involves the amount of effort that is comparable to serving on the board of directors of a not-for-profit organization. We are seeking alumni with leadership skills, great ideas, and a passion for their alma mater.
What is the CAAN National Board?
The CAAN National Board volunteers, in collaboration with Development and Alumni Relations, help to shape and execute programs that support and promote future engagement and involvement between the alumni community and the college. The CAAN National Board is comprised of 14 members: six Region Representatives and eight Members-at-Large.
The six CAAN regions are:
- Northwest: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
- Southwest: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah
- Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Great South: Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
- Northeast: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
- Southeast: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
At this time, the Northwest, Great South, Northeast, and four member-at-large seats will be elected.
What is the term of service?
Regional Representatives and Members-at-large serve for two years (September 1, 2017—August 31, 2019). Each board member is allowed to serve no more than two consecutive terms in one position.
What are my responsibilities as a National Board member?
- Attend annual board meeting in Chicago each fall
- Participate in regular board calls throughout the fiscal year
- Serve on a committee
- Report on alumni activities and events in your region, when applicable
- Support Columbia College Chicago’s philanthropic priorities (minimum $150/year)
- Serve as a positive representative of the alumni community and Columbia College Chicago at all times
What are these committees?
As a National Board member, you will also serve on at least one committee (as a member, and/or committee chair.) The committees are formed at the annual meeting each year and can change from year to year, depending on CAAN’s needs. Board members are expected to fully participate by working with fellow committee members to set and achieve committee goals.
Examples of previous and ongoing committees are:
- Career and Networking—alumni outreach, resume building, interviewing skills, professional development
- Impact—devise, execute and measure ways to engage alumni by utilizing social media, developing other alumni audiences, and promoting the accomplishments of our fellow alumni worldwide
- Advancement—raise money for Columbia College Chicago’s philanthropic priorities
- Governance and Nominations/Elections—review and revise by-laws
For consideration, please submit your application by May 24, 2017 at 5 p.m. CST