National Alumni Board Applications are Due June 30, 2015, at 12 p.m. EST. If you are interested in serving as an alumni leader, be sure to submit your application. The 2016 CAAN National Board will be announced on July 30th. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS PASSED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
Organizations are only as good as their members and leadership. The Columbia College Chicago Alumni Association & Network (CAAN) is no exception. When you serve on the CAAN National Board as a Regional Representative or Member-at-Large, you are making a commitment to:
- Help build meaningful alumni relationships, programs, and communications
- Encourage lifelong relationships between alumni and the college
- Create awareness of, and engagement with, the college and its highest priorities
- Foster a culture of philanthropy
Being a board member can certainly be fun, but it also involves the amount of effort that is comparable to serving on the board of directors of a not-for-profit organization. We are seeking alumni with leadership skills, great ideas, and a passion for their alma mater.
What is the CAAN National Board?
The CAAN National Board presides over all CAAN regions, and city chapters within those regions, to provide unified leadership and communication. The CAAN National Board is comprised of 12 members: six (6) Region Representatives, and six (6) Members-at-Large.
The six CAAN regions are:
- Northwest: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
- Southwest: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah
- Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Great South: Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
- Northeast: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
- Southeast: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
At this time, the Northwest, Northeast, and Great South, and all six member-at-large seats will be elected.
What is the term of service?
Region Representatives serve for two years (September 1, 2015 – August 31, 2017). Members-at-large serve for one year (September 1, 2015 – August 31, 2016)
What are my responsibilities as a National Board member?
Service as a National Board member does require your time and effort. As a National Board Member you’re required to attend all National Board Meetings, which are typically held via conference call every other month at approximately 7:30p.m., EST. These regular meetings of the CAAN National Board include but are not limited to:
- Regional reports of recent chapter events and their success
- Upcoming events
- Committee reports
What are these committees?
As a National Board member, you will also serve on at least one committee (as a member, and/or committee chair.) The committees are formed at the National Leadership Assembly each year and can change from year to year, depending on CAAN’s needs. Board members are expected to fully participate by working with fellow committee members to set & achieve committee goals.
Examples of previous and ongoing committees are:
- Alumni Enrichment – resume building, interviewing skills, professional development
- Celebration – promoting the accomplishments of our fellow alumni world-wide
- Networking – Alumni outreach
- Membership Engagement - devise, execute and measure ways to engage and maintain chapter membership utilizing social media, and developing other alumni audiences
- National Initiative – Conceive, plan, execute, and measure the effectiveness of a national alumni event/initiative
- Fundraising – raise money for the Alumni Scholarship Fund
- Branding – Developing the CAAN Brand
- Governance & Nominations/Elections – by-laws, chapter guidebook, chapter development, chapter best practices.
Another part of your responsibilities will be to support initiatives that engage your fellow alumni. Yes, it’s work, but it’s also an incredible opportunity for fun, to connect with alumni, and to play a meaningful role in building the alumni association. You will also have the support of the Office of Alumni Relations (OAR) staff.
CAAN National Board members are expected to give back to Columbia at the Manifest Club level ($120/year.)
ANNUAL BOARD MEETING: We ask that each member of the CAAN National Board meet in Chicago each fall.
For consideration, please submit your application by June 30th, 2015 at Noon EST. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS PASSED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
QUESTIONS? Email Sarah Schroeder (BA '00), West Coast Alumni Director at email@example.com